Fries & Shuele
Original Architect: Hubbell and Benes
Client: New Village Corporation
Site: Market Square Historic District
1948 West 25th Street, Cleveland, Ohio
Rehabilitation: Mixed-use: Retail and Apartments
Square Footage: 110,930 sq. ft.
Cost of Construction: $5 Million
Opened: December, 2001
Services Provided: Architect of Record, Preservation Consultant for Federal & State Historic Tax Credits, Conservation Easement.
Fries & Schuele was one of Cleveland's pioneer dry goods stores, and one of the west side's oldest department stores. The five story white terra cotta building was built in 1889 and altered in 1913 and again in 1932-24 by G. B. Bohen. The rehabilitation introduced 36 residential units to the upper floors of the Fries and Schuele building, while adding a combination of Condominium and townhouse for-sale units with all three buildings separated by an interior courtyard. The first floor houses restaurants and offices for Cleveland Public Art.