1890 | Cleveland, Ohio
John M. Eisenmann & George H. Smith, Original Architect
Walker and Weeks, 1939 renovation
The Arcade, a National Historic Landmark, consists of a spectacular 300 foot long, five-story sky-lit arcade with tiers of storefront galleries, housing retail shops and hotel rooms. Despite its remarkable architectural and engineering features, the Arcade suffered three decades of physical deterioration and increasing vacancy. Prospective developers were discouraged by the daunting scale and level of repair work needed, including restoration of historic elements, modernization of building systems, and finding a viable new use which would be a catalyst to downtown Cleveland. Efforts included the refurbishment of historic lanterns and the reinstatement of the lighting in the twenty-four cast iron gryphon mouths, restoring the luster, richness and vitality which had gradually faded over the years. The $60 million mixed-use rehabilitation project included nearly 300 hotel suites, opening in April 2001.
Services Provided: Architect of Record, Public Interiors Restoration, Preservation Consultant for Federal Tax Credit and Conservation Easement